View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 10-31-2006 01:26 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

I'm a big fan of mechnical units and bought a full set of SW mechanical gauges to fit in the Lola. I like the simplicity of them and the fact there is no wiring to worry about besides the lighting. But it is a common misconception that analog electrical gauges don't read accurately or consistently.

There are some articles on comparisons in some of the race magazines between the two types, but electrical gauges more than hold their own against mechanical gauges. We've done comparisons ourselves with Autometer electrical gauges vs. SW mechnical gauges and found the Autometer gauges were a bit more accurate in absolute value and showed a faster response time when going from temperature differentials.

However, the mechanical gauges are simple, typically robust, and still are most common in harsh use. I know I like them for ease of use, but the electrical gauge (a good one) gets an undeserved bum rap.

Now, I don't know if the electrical gauges in the JH are worth a damn or not, so don't let this influence your choice there. Does it even have a temperature scale on the face?

Last edited on 10-31-2006 01:27 pm by Ron Earp