View single post by Jeff Kouski
 Posted: 10-29-2006 09:20 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jeff Kouski

When closely examining the rear wheel bearings, I found that there is a spring and lip type of seal between the inner and outer races on one side and a common dust shield on the other side. The service manual says that the O-ring on the outer race should go in, toward the differential. When that is done it puts the seal between the inner and outer races to the differential side also. If this is the case, then the rear wheel bearings are not lubricated by the differential lubricant like they are on most vehicles. I opened up one of my old wheel bearings and found grease inside of it which confirms to me that they are lubricated when they are put together and do not require additional lubrication.

There is also a protrusion on the dust shield side of the inner race that should point out, toward the wheel. On the original bearings there was a flinger ring just outside of the dust shield that was pressed onto this protrusion.

If the rear wheel bearing were put on inside out then it would be outboard too far and may cause a binding or sealing problem. If someone would like them, I can post photos of what I am talking about for clarity.