View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 04-19-2005 02:41 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Nigel,

Your initial strategy is correct, however, many have found it necessary to hone all .030" rather than bore ~0.025" and hone the last 0.005".  The liners tend to warp and wiggle under the stress of a boring bar.  Delta stocks  0.005" o/s pistons as well as the 0.030".

The overwhelming consensus is to leave the liners in the block as any jig or clamp would oblong the liner during machining.  A number of people have machined a torque plate to hold eveything in place, and I know of a few people who have even heated the block with a 180^F water bath while completing the honing process.

We found that with a few pieces of scrap aluminum we were able to hold the liners in place during the ridiculously long honing process.  As for the 180^ water-bath...how perfect is practical?

With 30 years of corosion, I can understand how difficult it can be to remove the studs.  The double-nut method works fine for me, however, my machinist was able to work around the studs and I only remove the studs when the block needs to be decked.

Judson