View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 10-02-2006 04:18 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Given  what multiple owners can mess up given 30-plus years, there's no "one size fits all" sort of 'explicit directions' to be had.  (BTW, I found that font almost unreadable.  Plain text is generally a lot easier on the eyes.)

Basically, what one does is:
  1. Remove the soft top fabric and frame from the car.  This will require unbolting the frame.  Return the bolts to their proper places in the bodywork at this time.  Stow the fabric and frame in a safe location.  (It may be possible to leave these in the car but I've never tried that.) 
  2. Place the hard top on the car (this can be done by one person but is easier with two).  From inside, align the hard top so the two rotating latches at the front fit into the corresponding sockets atop the windshield.  Engage but do not secure the latches at this time.
  3. There should be a metal bracket on the hard top at the B pillar location (i.e. just behind the rear of the doors).  There are many variations in the design, but all should have a horizontal projection with a hole. 
  4. For the factory setup, insert a securing rod (carriage bolt, etc.) through the hole in each hard top bracket.  The lower end of each rod goes through a right-angle bracket.  Each right-angle bracket is secured to the car by a bolt originally used for the soft top frame.  You may wish to add a flat washer to each side. 
  5. If you have J-shaped rods like me, then insert the threaded ends of the rods through the hard top brackets and secure them loosely in place with their hardware.  The loop of each J is then attached to the car by a bolt originally used for the soft top frame.  You may wish to add a flat washer to each side.
  6. If you have some other arrangement, whose assembly remains mysterious, send photos or drawings, and maybe someone can advise.  Do not rely upon bungee cords or the like as you will likely lose both hard top and windshield frame at speed.  That can be lethal. 
  7. Tighten the rods' various fasteners until there's very little slack.  Tighten the clamps at the windshield.  Finish tighten the rods' various fasteners until the hard top's sealing gasket is compressed but not crushed.
  8. From the outside, visually examine the top's seating to ensure that the top is centered, that the gasket is everywhere present between the top and the bodywork, and that the gasket is everywhere compressed more or less uniformly.
  9. Check the operation of each door.  Ensure that each door's window will go all the way up and will seal against the hard top.
  10. If you have the factory hard top, insert the power plug for the rear window defroster into the receptacle at the top center of the cockpit rear bulkhead.  This feature is not present on any aftermarket hard top of which I'm aware.
With practice, you'll be able to determine how best to simplify the procedure above so it's easiest for your car.

Attachment: hardtop factory interior 1.jpg (Downloaded 109 times)