View single post by Sylva
 Posted: 09-20-2006 07:53 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Sylva

I want to buld a top deck plate for a 910 Engine and a lower cradle for the bottom of the bearing ladder. But can't find difinitive info. Can anyone tell me.

How thick should the cradle plate be and what grade of steel, the info on this web site is 1 inch, but pictures I've seen don't look that thick. What grade of steel should it be. My thoughts are to use a medium carbon steel.

For the deck plate again how thick should it be, this is obviously limited by how much you can machine of the top of the block. Or do I need tomachine the plate with a step at the edge.

And again what steel.

Is it OK to hold the plate in place with just the head bolts, or do you need to dowell it.

How do you locate the linners, my thoughts are to tapper the linners and the deck plate so that the linners stand proud of the plate and are "pinched' into place by the head.

Has any one ever used these, are they worth the effort. My engine is the latest S4 Block with the bearing ladder dowelled to the block. and cast iron liners made to fit the latter block.

I can sourcing material, even exotic steel, and can get all the machining done. T

his is my pet project for over the winter, I'd really appreciate any info or experience you may have.

Thanks