View single post by John Kimbrough
 Posted: 09-19-2006 08:32 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
John Kimbrough

A couple of nights ago, following a nice dinner out with my wife, Mimi, we returned to my JH for the ride home in the dark.  After buckling in and starting the engine I reached to turn on the headlight switch and it just flopped up and down instead of crisply snapping the lights on.  Feeling around under the dash, I discovered that the switch had come completely apart in back.  I got a headband light out of the boot and searched for the switch parts on the floor but only found the contact slide, not the spring or whatever else is needed to hold the contacts in place.  Finally giving up on the switch repair (I was trying to impress Mimi), I unplugged the wiring from the back of the switch and jumpered the socket with an aligator clamp equipped piece of wire.  The lights worked and we drove home.

Now, I have a headlight switch to either repair or replace.  If anyone knows what the internals of the switch look like and can describe/draw them for me, I will try to repair the switch I have.  If not, I would appreciate suggestions on how to get a replacement switch.  Will the MGB or TR6 headlight switches from the same year work??  They look the same in the catalogs. 

Thanks. John.