View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 09-17-2006 09:23 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

I sympathize.  My son is a locksmith, so one might reasonably expect him to be mechanically inclined, but where cars are concerned he has the mechanical aptitude of a bowl of sun-warmed jello.  Apparently he still possesses the charmingly naive belief he had as a six-year-old, that cars work by magic as long as they have fuel.  (Never should have let him watch "Speed Racer" on TV, I suppose....)

For some of us, it should be possible to train interested family members in the basics of sports car upkeep -- grand-daughters, in particular, seem susceptible -- in the hope that they will learn more once they inherit or otherwise acquire the car.  After all, how many of us were skilled professional mechanics when we acquired our JHs?  (You will note that I  very carefully avoid asking how many of us are skilled professional mechanics now! :^} )

And when the time comes that one must move away from sports car ownership, if one has no family member who is interested, well, we're a fairly large group, and surely some other member will have a promising niece/nephew, second cousin twice removed, or whatever, who can be nudged / encouraged / bribed into acquiring a specialty vehicle....  :^}