View single post by John Kimbrough
 Posted: 09-17-2006 01:24 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
John Kimbrough

Perhaps all of you out there posting on the board have not had the opportunity or necessity to ponder this yet, but as an aging JH lover/owner I am beginning to consider what I will do with my beloved (JH) when I am too old and decrepit to care for her any longer.  My daughter, now 26, loves the car and drives it (with wonder) when she visits us, but is not mechanically inclined, so that presents issues.  Likewise for other relatives I would want to give the car to.   At the risk of offending someone, I would suspect that the large majority of younger folks these days do not have the mechanical ability to keep one of these beasts lovingly on the road today for more than a few years, at most.  Then what will happen - will they end up in the junk yard, the back yard, the field, parts?

After owning and caring for my JH for 32 years now, I just can't stand the thought of selling my car to someone who will not care for her properly and keep her in road condition.  When I am ready to part with her, she will likely be 50 years old or so, and I will likely be 79 or 80, if I'm lucky.  So, what are the options?

1.  Give it to my daughter who will not have the capability of dealing with its foibles and who will likely end up selling it - or worse - through no fault of her own?

2.  Sell her to the highest bidder (probably not very high) regardless of the buyers ability to work on and maintain her?

3.  Interview potential owners.  Sell or give her to the lowest bidder who has the ability to maintain her and keep her on the road?

4.  Part her out to help keep other JHs on the road?

5.  Donate her to a car museum - if I can find one that wants her?

Any other recommendations or musings from other aging or not-so-aging JH owners would get the consideration they deserve - from me.

John.