View single post by Sylva
 Posted: 09-15-2006 01:26 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Sylva

Just joined the JHPS, but I have run a Sunbeam Lotus Engine for some years. Be very carefull using a Sunbeam 911 crank in a 907 block. My track car ran all Sunbeam running gear, engine, gear box and axil, these came form a Lotus SUnbeam I had owned since 1984. Last year I repaced the 911 block and crank with a new 910 S4 block and crank.

When we offered these up to the gear box we found that the spigot bearing did not mate to the end of the gea box input shaft. Measurments showed that the face on the crank that carried the fly wheel was 4mm nearer to the block face on the 910 cranck than it is on e 911. and that the spiggot bearing is another 6 mm deeper into the crank. We had to extend the gear box shaft and thicken the fly wheel to make it fit.

In simple words the 911 crank is 1/4 of an inch shorter than an S4 Esprit  910 crank. I don't know if all 912 amd 910 cranks are the same, but no one had heared of this problem, swapping between pure lotus cars, certainly a 912 engine went straight in to my friends S3 Esprit just with a change of sppigot bearing.