View single post by colinw59
 Posted: 09-08-2006 07:31 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
colinw59

Ask the sellers for as many pics as possible if the known problem areas. Body work is more expensive than mechanical and somewhat easier to spot. The rust problem areas with the JH, and most English cars, are the floor pans, rockers outer/inner, rear dog legs, top seam where the quarters join to deck panel, lower rear of front fenders, hood & trunk lips, trunk floor and gas tank. Glossy paint can cover a myriad of problems. For this reason I prefer original paint or old paint, at least there shouldn't be too many supprises years down the road if I'm going to restore the car.

Ask for compressions figures, about any oil leaks, blue or white smoke from exhaust, transmition whine, drivabilty and so on. Some 4 speeds have a problem of slipping out of gear (loose layshaft nut).  Mileage is important but so is how those miles were driven and the services performed along the way.  I wouldn't even take into account the 10,000 miles difference if the higher mileage car was is better 'true' shape body wise. If your intention is to restore the car then what lies beneath what your are buying is very important and that glossy paint job could get painted over again if it covers badly repaired rusted areas. If the 4 speed is just 2 hours away go take a look at it. This may rule out the car completely simplifying your decision.  

From all that I've read the original 4 speed is better than the Getrag 5 in regards to reliabilty and performance. If the difference is $2500 that could go along way when applied to the 4 speed. 

The dash for the JH is now obsolete, make sure that yours is at least repairable as a good one is hard to come by.  Also consider the seats, interior panels, carpeting and soft top.

As for the free car, it could cost your more in the long run. But then again maybe not, it's all contingent upon condition. Is it close to you?

Good luck, Colin