View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 08-19-2006 12:08 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Well, for one I didn't restrict the oil passage to the head and that will help greatly on the oil leaking problem since their won't be a quart of oil pooled up in the cam tower on hard left hand turns. Plus, it'll keep the bottom end better pressurized for a happy long life (unless some bozo puts the wrong oil apater on and ruins the motor.......) Judson did this modification on mine that is being rebuilt now.

Ditch that "radial" oil pickup and get a pickup with a screen in the bottom and in the bottom only - like 99% of the rest of the cars on the road. Much less chance of the oil pickup drawing up air (still have to do this on mine while it is being rebuilt).

Tired of lots of money for Lotus bearings? With a little trick Judson let me in on Chysler 318 bearings will fit the main bearings and offer a much better bearing selection at like, oh, 1/5th the cost of expensive Lotus main bearings. (I did manage to get this done correcly).

Cross drill that crank, helps it live a long and happy life (Judson did this on mine).

And there are other things as well that Judson and others can help you with. The stock motor seems underpreppared for hard driving as evidenced by a few folks who have munched them autocrossing and racing them (someone destroyed one last year at a historic race, overheated I understood since the stock radiator won't handle high RPM for extended times). More than a few have been destroyed due to oil starvation in corners and a few of the items above are specifically done to combat that.

Ron