View single post by Gary Martin JH 15371
 Posted: 08-12-2006 01:47 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Gary Martin JH 15371

Welcome Al,

I bought my 74 JH back in 1986 from a salvage sale after it had the infamous carb fire from the plastic gas T. The car sat for 18 years before I started to restore it. Mine was probably a bit worse than yours sounds. All hoses, wiring, timing belt, battery, alternator, starter solinoid, were toast, and even melted items on the drivers side like the tank on the master cylinder. Never the less I got her running again. Start by documenting as much as you can, take notes and pictures of every thing. Remove all damaged items and clean up best as possible. If timing belt is damaged, replace this first. Do not attempt to turn over the engine with a bad timing belt or you risk bending the valves. After replacing the timing belt and it is timed correctly, see if engine will turn by hand. If not, you will likely find that the auxilary shaft driving the oil pump/distributor is frozen. There is a 0.004" plastic gasket in the oil pump that will melt if the fire got too hot. The melted gasket freezes up the oil pump. Once the engine is turning free, start replacing gaskets, hoses, wiring, and other items as needed.  There are before and after pictures of mine in the Picture Gallery under Oregon.

Good luck, Gary

Last edited on 08-12-2006 07:04 pm by Gary Martin JH 15371