View single post by Rick Willard
 Posted: 08-09-2006 12:48 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rick Willard

Thanks for the reply, Greg!  Here's an update for you and anyone else on the board who might have some ideas....

The tranny is down; the clutch plate and disc are fine, but it appears that the pilot bearing failed.  There was nothing but a shell left up where there used to be a brand new pilot bearing.  Also, the throwout bearing is not quite up to snuff – possibly damaged by the vibration being caused after the pilot bearing failed.  Again, this happened within 1,500 miles of new…everything with the engine.  

One initial theory is that the pilot bearing might have been installed backwards.  If that was the case, the grease in the bearing just came right out, the bearing dried up, burned up, and the rest is history.  I don’t know this to be true for sure, because I’ve done two JH clutches personally on my past JH’s, and never had a problem with them.  The mechanic is scratching his head, saying he’s never seen anything like it, wondering if it was a faulty part.  However, after some of the expensive crap I’ve dealt with the last 12 months…I’m just trying to be wary of anything and everything, wondering if there are any other insights out there.

Do any of you have any of you have any experience with this?  If so, would you agree that the backwards pilot bearing is possible?  Any other theories out there?

By the way, I’m certainly not proud to be putting my stupidity (and poor experience) on display here.  But if it benefits anyone else in the Jensen World…all the better. 

As always, many thanks for your input/support.

Rick Willard