View single post by Rick Willard
 Posted: 08-03-2006 08:56 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rick Willard

Hi folks,

I quickly searched the board for this topic, and didn't see it.  Hope that I'm not duplicating any previous post.  Here's my issue, and I'm open to all suggestions.

I have a bunch of new mechanical goodies on my car after a full engine rebuild and several other new parts.  Included in the list is a new clutch (pressure plate, disc, and throwout & pilot bearings).  I'm just under the 1,500 mile mark since the rebuild, and was enjoying a nice romp through some windy roads yesterday, when on the way home...a dreaded snag with the clutch. 

I had just done a pretty good 50 miles - nothing too hard on the car, but some windy roads for sure.  I was pulling up to an intersection a few miles from home, and I slowly started putting the car into first.  The clutch felt fine when I pushed on it, however...the car won't go into gear (in fact, it won't go into any of the gears).  I step back on the clutch, give the engine a tiny rev, and I can hear a slight squealing coming out of the bell housing.  I roll the car to the side of the road and turn it off.  I put it into first, step on the clutch, and turn the starter.  The car lurches forward because it's being "pushed" by the starter as if I'm not pushing the clutch at all.  Then the engine turns over, and I drive the few miles home. 

During that trip home, the clutch resumes normal operation for the most part - a little sticky a couple of times, but...nothing ugly like back at that intersection.  However, if I stand on the clutch in neutral, and rev the engine a bit, I sometimes (not all the time) can still hear that squealing.  But again, the clutch feels just fine on the pedal, like everything is OK.

I'm thinking that we've got an issue with the throwout bearing.  Before I just start taking the transmission down, I thought I would double-check to make sure that the clutch fork is solid on its pivot, and that its in line and egaging the throwout correctly - at least what I can see from the ground.  Does anyone have any suggestions for these symptoms?  I've certainly wrestled a JH tranny down a time or two before, but it's not exactly the thing I was hoping to do anytime soon. 

If anyone has any ideas or experience with this...I'll take any/all suggestions.

Many thanks,

Rick Willard