View single post by LambandAndy
 Posted: 08-03-2006 02:40 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
LambandAndy

Jim,

I just did this a couple of months ago with the engine in the car.  I had to jack the engine (make sure you have enough slack in wiring, hoses, etc) a good two inches to get the old header out (I think it was an aftermarket).  The new header (from JHPS) required less clearance to go back in.

I was able to get to the lower studs on 3 & 4 from under the car without too much difficulty, but I did have the advantage of having pulled my cylinder head a few months back and having coated the studs with a liberal coat of anti-seize.  30/60 offset and stubby wrenches would be good to have on hand.  Give everything a good soaking in release oil (I like PB Blaster or Kroil) a couple of days before you start.

While the engine was jacked up I took the opportunity to replace the engine mounts and I also found that the lower bushing on the steering column was shot so replaced it (I turned one up out of bronze).

I had to shim the exhaust side engine mount and the transmission mount (fender washers work fine) to get clearance over the front subframe, but other than that, the new header fitted very nicely.

Once I had it back together the car ran so much nicer.  No more popping on the down shift and, once I tweaked the carbs back in, it was much smoother and an extra 3 mpg too!

Make sure you check out Greg's article (he did it with the transmission removed) and have plenty of vino on hand.  Good luck.

Andy