View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 07-30-2006 02:17 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Steve,

I can tell you that when I do customer rebuilds the number one thing I see time and time again is filthy, nasty sludge and varnish clogging up every part of the engine.  The piston rings suffer the worst as there is no oil feed pressure to force that stuff out and keep them from bonding to the pistons.

The exhaust cam housing and the remote cooler trap 1-2qts of old oil that never gets flushed out during a regular oil change.  Add 30 years to this equation and you can see how it gets out of hand.

It's no surprise you see leakage after running the car.  At lower RPS and nearly closed throttle the pressure is manageable.  Start filling those cylinders with big gulps of air and you've got 10-100x the pressure. 

You have the right idea with making sure the engine can breath properly (make sure the sump isn't overfilled either).  Unfortunately, you can't 'suck' enough of this pressure out, it has to be stopped at its source.

I think your rope-seal may be fine, but worst case your rings could be shot.  I think its worth a try to flush out the engine and hope the rings get un-stuck. 

Judson

Jensen:  It's not a car, it's a hobby....for some of us it's an unhealthy obsession!