View single post by colinw59
 Posted: 07-27-2006 02:10 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
colinw59

The quickest mechanical way I found to remove undercoat is with Surface Strip Discs. They look a little like a hamburger with a small center hole, about 3 1/2' dia x 1/2' thk. 3M makes them #7460 as does Carborundm #39321 and your local Auto Body supply Co. should have them. They're expensive though, expect to pay between $7-10/disc retail. I'm sure I've seen them at Home Depot also. On 15851 I used them with a die grinder as a regular drill is way too slow. You must wear safety glasses and I would suggest a particulate respirator also. It's a very messy process, and it's far easier to put undercoat on than it is to take it off! When I'd taken off the undercoat in the areas needed, I treated any rust by spot media blasting or rust converter, re-seam sealed any joints as required, etch primed, 2 part urethane primed and then re-undercoated. However I have a body shop and I under stand that I have the space, materials and resourses that most don't.

In some of the pics in the link below, you can see were I removed the undercoating.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851