View single post by matthew falconer
 Posted: 07-21-2006 08:17 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
matthew falconer

Mr. Fletcher, I hope I'm doig this right ,as I just became a member today!

It's not like I'm not familiar with lucas<aka..THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS >,because, I'v had a mini ooper,austin healey, jag, etc.Also raced triumph and BSA motorcycles for a living back in the 70s,but this has me stumped!

I installed new points & condenser, I also fond many wires frayed and in bad shape ,and replaced them. Also I found the ballast resistor was bad and,after reading Mark R's post on how to test coil ,found coil was also bad. I replced them with a std. 12 volt coil and a axcel ,<HIGH OUTPUT>, ballast resistor, for lack of lucas parts in my part of Nortern California < Placerville>. Also went though distributor,replaced the breaker plate ground wire and everthing is good. I'v got points set @ 16 ,and with ignition on , dist. out of block everything is cool! As soon as touch it to motor block ,I get a spark and , of course ground ,and ..... I even tryed running a remote ground stap from coil bracket to motor block etc etc . I also thought it might be the dist plastic termanal - ,but after pulling it free frm dist. body everything still grounds out. Any HELP at all would be GREAT!

I'v read about a few of the members' wifes/girlfriends saying ;:does it run yet ?? etc:".... I bought this JH for my wife at the begaining of summer, ..TO MAKE HER HAPPY, she drove it four days and was happy!Did I mention she is full blooded American Indian?...Custer's last stand would be like a cake walk ,if I don't get her a running soon!

THANKS  MATTHEW!!!!

Last edited on 07-23-2006 12:01 am by matthew falconer