View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 07-18-2006 02:56 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Erik Harkes put a 907 bottom-end on a 910 top-end.  I went the other direction and put a JH top-end on a 910 bottom-end.  My decision to build a 'hybrid' was driven more by available parts than any other reason.

Keep in mind the 9xx series engine continued to evolve through circa 1999(?), there were a LOT of running changes.  In general, most part are interchangeable without modification including the cranks.

The exception is the bottom half of the block.  Below the split-line of the main bearing panel is where the 910/912/911/920 depart significantly from the 907.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album08/P1010012

Post ~1986 blocks (i.e. HCI, Excel SE, etc.) use aluminum liners with Nikasil coatings instead of the 907 iron liners.  The aluminum liners are 1mm larger in diameter so you can't put them in a 907 or vice versa.

Unless you are itching for a project, I can't suggest the 'hybrid' route.  Instead, I would suggest finding a 1988 Lotus Excel SE engine or an engine from a N/A Esprit to rebuild and transplant into your JH. 

These are really the most 'evolved' engines, and have all the HP goodies you will need.  The only problem is finding one as neither are exactly common.