View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 06-30-2006 09:03 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Joined: 03-12-2005
Location: Kingman, Arizona USA
Posts: 532
There are several ways to address the fuel pressure situation.
  • Use a restriction type fuel pressure regulator in (preferably) the engine bay.  The versions I'm familiar with, have an adjustment screw that allows setting the outlet pressure as desired.  Many owners have reported satisfaction with this approach.
  • Use a bypass type fuel pressure regulator in the trunk.  Some JHs were originally equipped with a tee in the fuel line that fed a restrictor orifice whose output went back into the fuel tank.  The size of the orifice would determine the maximum pressure at the carbs.
  • Use a fuel pump that by design produces the proper fuel pressure at the carbs.  The original SU type pumps did this, of course.  Their replacements may be a bit pricey but the recent ones seem fairly reliable.  Another alternative is the Purolator / Facet pump sold by Delta Motorsports and others.  This is far less expensive than the SU pump but is quite noisy in comparison and a proper installation requires fabricating a simple sheet metal mounting bracket of some sort.  The JH takes the low pressure version which according to my records is model FEP 42 SV.
FWIW, I've had a Facet pump in my car for five or six years now and it has been utterly reliable.  I did follow the manufacturer's recommendation to relocate the fuel filter to the inlet line.  Attached is a photo of the way I installed the Facet pump.  A second fuel filter is installed in the engine bay, just before the tee to the carbs.  The measured pressure at the outlet of this filter (the tee's inlet) is exactly the desired nominal value.

Attachment: facet pump & filter.jpg (Downloaded 54 times)