View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 04-13-2005 06:52 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

I suspect your underwriter is correct.

If you mean a 'roll-over' bar:  all the vintage photos I've seen show the factory-stock JH without one -- AFAIK only the Huffaker race cars came with a 'factory' roll-over bar, and that's stretching the definition of 'factory' just a bit.  Certainly there's no mention of a roll-over bar in the parts lists or shop manual, nor is there any provision for one on an unmolested chassis. 

If you mean an 'anti-sway' bar: the vintage road tests I've seen either explicitly state that there's no anti-sway bar, or it's quite apparent from the cornering photos that the car did not have one.  And as with the roll-over bar, there's no mention of one in the parts lists.  Only the Jensen GT came from the factory with a front anti-sway bar.

I would conclude from this that if a new JH was furnished to the original purchaser with either of the above, it almost certainly would have been added by the dealer, and the only proof the car had been sold that way would be the dealer's invoice.  While I'm not an expert on auto insurance, I would expect that only the specific vehicles that originally came with either type of bar would be eligible for collectors insurance if they were now so equipped.