View single post by Rick Willard
 Posted: 06-15-2006 05:08 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rick Willard

Hey Guys,

I see plenty of problems described on the board around the ignition/distributor, but none that quite fit these symptoms.  Before I subject myself to another tow back to the shop that last worked on the engine, I thought I'd run this past you guys.
  • Just completed a full engine rebuild, including a 2.2 upgrade with a lot of the good stuff including cams, pistons, valve springs, etc.  I used a pretty "standard" ignition/distributor tune-up that included new everything from the top of the distributor to the plugs (new points, condensor, distributor lead, rotor, cap, plug wires, plugs).  Yes, it's true...I did not yet do a Petronix ignitor/ingition - it's a LOOONG story.  I know that some of you might jump on that, but I don't think that's not my current problem.
  • I've done just over 400 miles since the rebuild and the thing has run superbly.  However, just a few days ago, I lost my spark on the engine.  Because of a fuel line leak that I had fixed previously, I double-checked my fuel system, but after some testing around that, and the fact that the pump is shooting gas to the Dellortos pretty hard...I was fairly certain it was not fuel. 
  • I quickly turned to electrical.  My timing light (which we tested on another car of mine as GOOD) was telling me that I had no spark, and the line from the coil to the distributor had nothing either.  I ran a tester to both sides of the coil, and found that there is a good connection to both of the posts on each side of the coil wire.  Keep in mind that I didn't touch ANYTHING on the wiring up to the failure, and I haven't changed anything, even today.  Considering that the coil was one of the only things that I had NOT replaced, I went ahead and ordered a Flame Thrower from Delta, and installed it tonight.  Again, matched up the wiring exactly as it was on the original coil.  Low and behold...the same symptoms still exist.  I've got "power" on both sides of the coil when the iginition is on, and also through the balast resistor, but nothing coming out of the coil on my timing light, and nothing to any of the plug wires.
I've "jiggled" the wires connected to the coil and otherwise, and all the connections look fine, and seem snug.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I would take any/all advice out there. 

As always...many thanks.

Rick Willard

Laguna Niguel, CA

jayhawk89@cox.net