View single post by Jim Sohl
 Posted: 06-02-2006 06:53 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim Sohl

Without endorsing either camp, I view 'dell's and all other carbureted engines as a chemically powered, very high gain, analogue amplifier.  A very tiny torque at the throttle shaft becomes a very large torque at the rotating, crankshaft.  As with any hi-gain amplifier, a very small non-linearity when 'processing' the input signal can give rise to a much larger, unwanted result.  'Same for noise.  Given that what 'dell's and most other carburetors do, try to control thousands of psi above a piston using a tiny vacuum signal, it is to be expected that the interactions between the various 'circuits' within the carburetor will at times be counter-intuitive.  In reality, what is happening is that the effect of an alteration to one circuit might be quite small or of a stand-alone nature, while an alteration to another circuit might be quite large or highly interactive with other circuits.  Which is which?  Obviously, if I knew, I would write about it.  It is just interesting to consider that tiny changes in any of the several vacuum circuits can lead to steep, exciting response curves, or, popping, coughing, and you know the rest.  It seems then natural that the passing of air through internally curved tubes creates 'signals.' Have fun, just my one cent's worth.
Jim