View single post by colinw59
 Posted: 05-15-2006 06:16 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
colinw59

The Monza exhaust system on #15851 was in great condition when I picked her up Nov. 2004, with the exception of some pitting on the chrome tips. I shotblast the entire exhaust system including the headers. I used Hi-Temp black for the headers and the front section of the system and primed & painted matte black the rear (cooler) sections. Then I tried to install it back on the car over a year later!! The engine was in (the headers were a #@#@* to install) as was the entire rear end. It took me about 2 hours of tweaking and foul language to get the thing in. The rear end is the problem, it gets in the way and it can't be that you have to drop it to change the exhaust!!!! The whole system needed about 2" of lateral movement to bring together the sections of the system at its joints and the shape of the rear section over the rear axle wouldn't give me what I needed without rising beyond were they could be mated. I had to gring down all the mating surfaces to be sure that they fitted snugly as I was not  being able to exert to much forse lateraly to bring them together. The only way I could do it was to loosen up everything, except the headers, and ease the sections to the right side of the car about 1-2' and then bring them back together aligning them as I moved the pipes back towards the center of the car. I guess any make of exhaust system for the JH has its own problems.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851