View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 05-13-2006 10:17 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

At this late date all I can say with certainty is that I re-balanced the carbs and set the mixture on each according to the procedure in section C11 of the shop manual -- lifting the vacuum valve on each one a small distance, noting whether the engine speeds up or slows down, and making the mixture leaner or richer respectively.  IIRC I had to go through the whole process several times before everything seemed satisfactory.  If in doubt, err on the rich side.

Another thing to do, particularly if the engine seems to be missing a lot, is to verify the points gap and reset it if necessary.

I don't know of any inherent mechanical resonances in the Delta exhaust system, though if one of the mufflers were defective, perhaps with a loose internal baffle, you might experience that sort of thing.  I suggest putting the car on jack stands and seeing if an application of brute force via prybar to the engine and exhaust plumbing can create any condition where something makes contact with the bodywork.  If so, try loosening the clamps and moving the exhaust components so that contact no longer occurs.  If that doesn't help, check your transmission mount, engine mounts, and engine damper, in that order, and replace whatever has failed or rotted with age.

Last edited on 05-13-2006 10:19 pm by Mark Rosenbaum