View single post by pc
 Posted: 05-10-2006 04:35 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
pc

frank12873 wrote: Pretty cool, Dan.

... I always thought BRG was a dark green, but I read something recently that led me to believe its a lighter shade of green. .... 

BRG isn't actually a color.  It's more of an idea.

"Back in the day" before big buck sponsorship, race cars were painted in colors that identified them by country of origin, red for Italy, silver (or sometimes white) for Germany, blue for France, green for Great Britain, etc.

They didn't have specific shades, you only needed to be able to identify the car with a quick glance as it roared past.  Jaguar, Aston Martin, Lotus, MG, Austin Healey, Cooper, BRM, etc, etc all had green cars but they weren't all the same green.  If you look at classic race cars in museums and in historic photos (which usually have questionable color accuracy) they do tend to be dark shades, often with somewhat olive tones.

One can argue that there is no such color as "BRG" but I think that any green that was seen on a classic back then or looks like it "could have been" on a car in those days qualifies.

While it certainly does not qualify as BRG one of our comrades painted his JH "John Deere Green" and I think it looks great.

PC.

(Hey Dan, how about Tangerine?!   Just kidding!)