View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 05-10-2006 05:31 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote: [...] the water flow valve in the engine compartment, if I put vacumn on it, it will hold, and makes a noise like something is doing it's job, but if I drive the car with it disconnected, no heat, if I run a vacumn line to it from the manifold, and drive the car still no heat.
[...] when I drive with manifold vacumn on the flow valve and get nothing, then my problem is with the flow valve ???, so if I take it off, put a piece of pipe in and get heat, then it's definatly the flow valve, so what can be done to the flow valve to check or repair it, or is it a throw away and a call to Delta is in my future, or is it generic enough to pick up local.

Sounds defective to me.  Could be a plugged heater hose or heater core, though, or insufficient manifold vacuum.  Try removing the valve and testing it with a garden hose and a hand operated vacuum pump.  I don't believe the valve is repairable, so if spraying your favorite brand of penetrating oil on any potentially movable parts, inside and out, doesn't help, you'll probably have to replace it.  But check with Delta before tossing the old part, just in case there's a core charge or something of that nature. 

The little vacumn valve inside the car on the side of the heater box, how do you check it, am I correct in assuming that once the lever arm contacts it, that it sends vacumn to the water flow valve in the engine comp. or does it do something else.

This device is actually a vacuum switch.  When the cable-operated lever on the side of the heater presses the little plastic teat on the side, the switch will either either open ('pass vacuum') or shut (not 'pass vacuum'), don't recall which way it's supposed to work. 

Just one last thing, has anyone mounted that flow valve in a differant location than over the Jensen Healey name on the bottom valve cover, seem's a shame to block it off just for plumbing.

You should be able to move it anywhere you want as long as you keep it in the correct hose line.  Just make sure it won't hit anything when the engine torques or vibrates.