View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 05-03-2006 04:54 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

The shop manual lists different oil capacities for the new and old engine designs:

New engine (engine # 2760 up):
     10.8 US pints without filter change
     12.0 US pints with filter change
       1.2 US pints additional for oil cooler

Old engine (engine # to 2759):
     14.8 US pints without filter change
     15.9 US pints with filter change
       1.2 US pints additional for oil cooler

I suspect that the change in sump capacity may have been related to the US habit of assuming that all cars take 5 US quarts (10 US pints) of oil when changing oil and filter.  In an early JH, this assumption would have left an engine 3 US quarts low -- doubtless a recipe for disaster.

For its most recent oil and filter change, my car, which has an engine of the new design, took 10 US pints.  After being run until warm, the oil level ended up midway between the add and full marks on the dipstick.  The filter was a Fram PH16, which probably holds about a pint. In any event, if I add further oil, the engine blows it out as fumes, so I have to consider it as full.

I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy between my car's situation and the shop manual's specification, as AFAIK there is no sludge in the sump and the dipstick is at the correct height above the block.  Certainly the figures in the shop manual seem correct, based on the study I did awhile back showing how full the sump is for various quantities of fluid (see the JHP photo site if interested).