View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 04-30-2006 12:07 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

The hp figures are healthy and if on the mark would be really strong, but the torque suprises me even more, at around 84 ft/lb per liter! 

Getting more than around 80 ft/lb per liter is extremely difficult to do with a motor.  Even very modern 4 valve designs using variable camshaft timing and/or variable valve lift, such as the E46 M4 3.2L 4 valve six is at 81 ft/lbs per liter and Honda's S2000 2L 4 banger Wondermotor is at 81 ft/lb per leter too. 

Most 4 valve engines, like say an arguably less technically advanced 4 pot like the Yamaha designed  2ZZ-GE built by Toyota and used in the Toyota Celica as well as the Lotus Elise/Exige puts out around 122 ft lbs with 2L, or about 60 ft/lb per liter.  Nice write up on those motors here and the reason I mentioned it is I've been looking at it since my racing buddy Jeff has ordered a new Lotus Exige, lucky dog. http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/thecar/engine/toyota.html

Are your dyno plots from a engine stand type dynometer? And what sort of SAE procedure were the numbers taken under, it can make a big difference.  I don't supposed we'd be lucky enough to have rear wheel hp/toque figures for the combination? If the little Lotus 907 will produce torque at levels of 60 ft/lbs per liter I'd be pretty happy, but really excited if it'd produce more and I'd need to duplicate some of your combination pronto (might be a little cheating there!).  I imagine my output will pale to yours, but without a common procedure between the methods,  comparison and conclusions will be difficult to make.

Last edited on 04-30-2006 12:23 pm by Ron Earp