View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 04-28-2006 03:14 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Thanks for the help there! I did do a similar repair on my 5 speed, but it isn't the play in the lever/bushing, it is just a general vague feeling and no positive engagement.  Might be related, but I'll drive it a bit before doing anything about it.

The pan is baffled and I do have an accusump, but the accusump was not plumbed this time out. It will be next time!!!! 

Roebling  has a long right hand turn that is three turns, but the net result is you'll pull high g turning right for like 15-20 seconds. Even good baffles, which I don't have, don't particularily like this setup.  Onthe other hand, stock Mazda Miata oil pans have no problem with it whatsoever, but design has marched on since the early 70s.

No dellorto's in IT.  In fact, I'm convinced you don't have to have them for high power build.  I think they will help for throttle response, but, for pure hp/air flow I don't think they'll add any peak hp over the Strombergs (properly setup and jetted, ported manifold, and water bypassed out of the blasted manifold). 

The twin 175 Strombergs are plenty big enough for a 2L or 2.2L motor. We are forced to use them on my partner's raing TR8 at 3.5L and there is plenty of flow to support that motor with more hp and torque than we produce using the JH motors.  We're learning how to tune them properly and I feel they are somewhat used as a scapegoat for other issues with the 907s.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather use dellortos or Webers for throttle response and ease of tuning, but I don't think they are a magic hp fix. 

We'll see if my theory is right once we get some dyno numbers, and if Brian brings is out to tune as well then we'll have some godo solid back to back numbers same dyno, dame day, etc.  Although I suspect his motor tuned is going to produce more peak hp due to cams/compression/size so it isn't a true comparison of what Dellortos vs Strombergs can do.

Ron

Last edited on 04-28-2006 04:32 pm by Ron Earp