View single post by Bill Rister
 Posted: 04-28-2006 01:26 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Bill Rister

It has been nearly a year since you posted and I hope your clock is now working.   If not, here is what I did.    The clock probably hadn't worked for years when I bought my Jensen.   Mine is the type mounted in the lower left of the dash.   It simply slips forward and out.  I removed it, disconnecting the leads.    Then I disassembled the housing, exposing the mechanism ..as I recall the dial and bezel remained intact.
Now I've had an alarmist in the past cry out "that's dangerous!  That stuff in flammable!"    Most things we use as solvents are so take precautions.
In an open ventalated area, away from any open flames, use ordinary rubbing alcohol and Q-Tip swabs to wipe all the working surfaces you can get to in the mechanism.  Don't forget to touch the areas where pins revolve on the brass.   This will remove years-old dried oil and gunk.
After the mechanism has had sufficent time to air dry, use swabs moistened with a light machine oil such as 3-In One (I haven't tried it, but silicone lube may do the job too) to lightly touch bearing surfaces.   Don't soak the areas, just lightly dab with the lubricant.
Connect the mechanisim to the 12v leads and give the flywheel a light spin.  
Sit and watch for awhile...   the clock should keep on working .
Reassemble the case to the clock, reinsert in the dash, connect the wiring and you should be up and running.
Due to some physical problems I have not been able to even start my Jensen for nearly a year.   Just yesterday I recharged the dead battery, glanced at the clock and it was running.   I set it to the correct time and this morning it is still showing the correct time.