View single post by Greg Fletcher
 Posted: 04-26-2006 04:04 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg Fletcher

Esprit2 wrote:
If someone needs the engine to be even more drivable at low rpm to the point of running 107's at 110° MOP...  ??...  why bother driving a sportscar?  

I totally agree that a 104 MOP (Maximum Opening Position) is normally the way to go, but I would be cautious about making blanket statements about that. Your proclamation that 107 cams set to 110 MOP is somehow unsporting misses the mark. My old Jensen Healey ran 107's at 110 (despite the fact that it had vernier cam pulleys), 9.5:1 compression, 40mm Dellortos and a 7 pound Tilton flywheel. I drove this car as a daily commuter for 16 years and enjoyed it tremendously. It was at all times very balanced and at home in stop and go traffic as it was at 90mph. It was far from ordinary. The car now lives in Minnesota and having spoken with several other people that have driven the car, they all agree it is a sweet ride. For myself, the 110 timing worked out just fine for the kind of driving I was doing. That timing can work nicely- to dismiss that out of hand is not an accurate assessment.