View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 04-26-2006 11:09 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

Greg Fletcher wrote: Good post Tim, but I need to take issue with your conclusions. I, like many owners, live in an urbanized area- country roads are not quickly or easily accessible. Low end torque is very important and makes the overall driving experience much more pleasant since a large portion of time is spent in stop and go traffic. Good low end driveability and reasonable top end power is the Hot Ticket for me. Hot Ticket is not what is popular, it's what works best for my needs.

?   If you have concluded I live in a rural area I'm not sure what I said to give that impression.   I too live in an urban area.   I leave for work early enough to beat most of the traffic and the commute takes an hour.   In the afternoon I can't avoid the rush and it takes an hour and a half to get home.   I'm in traffic two and a half hours a day.   Plus whatever running around I do for fun or errands.

I have three 907's (okay, one is converted to 2.2)  and a 4AGE (also low on torque),  all of which drive through clutches and 5 speeds.   I run two 104 cams in one of the nearly stock 2.0 907's and a pair of hotter DS2 cams in the 2.2.   The third 907 has two "Euro" cams...  whatever that means.   The PO had some shop install them and couldn't add more detail.   They're regrinds so the markings are meaningless and I haven't had them profiled.

Different strokes for different folks,  but I don't find any of the cars difficult to drive in traffic.   I could buy a Camry with an automatic if traffic was my primary focus,  but I own the sportscars for what they can do other than commute.   And it's my priority (I'm not selling it)  that I won't mortgage what they do uniquely well in order to tame them down to do what any ordinary car can do.   I have a Subaru SVX AWD automatic for the ordinary stuff.

Tim

Last edited on 06-14-2009 06:23 pm by Esprit2