View single post by Greg Fletcher
 Posted: 04-09-2006 04:38 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg Fletcher

Regarding your question on list of sealants, this is all basic stuff. I can't stress how important it is to have a copy of the JH shop manual. It's not the greatest, but it does have all the essential specs needed to get stuff done. The manual clearly lists what sealants are needed during the rebuild process such as hi-temp RTV, Hylomar and Wellseal, and I would update that by using the rubber camshaft cover gaskets and by using Loctite 515 under the cam towers and on the pan gasket, as this no longer comes in the gasket kit.

While doweling the bottom end is a very useful method of dealing with high rpm block flex, I'm not altogether convinced that this is always necessary or even desirable. If you plan on doing some racing and will be flogging the engine quite a bit, them you should probably consider the mod, but for many owners that just want a fast street car, I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

On the cross drilled crankshafts- I know it sounds good, but keep in mind that Lotus raced plenty of non-cross drilled 200hp+ engines sucessfully. Also, with high quality ACL bearings available at just above $200 for a full set, I would not recommend to owners that they convert to Chrysler bearings, which would in fact, cost much more taking into account the machining needed.