View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 04-02-2006 04:53 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Since I wrote the article and generated the torques drawing, it's appropriate that you consider me responsible for their content, rather than Greg Fletcher.  However, if there's any blame to be assigned, probably it belongs to the now-nameless draftsman at the Jensen factory who created the front suspension components drawing.

While I agree that the front suspension 'looks better' with the flat side of the spring facing up, and that the factory drawings do occasionally have errors, the fact remains that the factory's drawing shows flat side down.  Despite a diligent search, I have not found anything anywhere that would contradict this.  In any event, I remarked upon the situation in the original post from which the article in the JHPS Standard article was taken.

My car was no help here, as it had one spring flat side up, and the other flat side down.  I do not know if it came from the factory that way, or if someone blundered in a long-ago suspension repair; based on the car's condition, either was possible.  I did look for -- but did not find -- any significant difference in the wear patterns of the two rubber insulators.  During reassembly, I checked the springs in both orientations, and elected to install them flat side down, in compliance with the drawing.  Since then, though I've put only a few hundred miles on the car, I have not noticed any problems.

If it really mattered which side of the spring goes up, surely something on the subject would have made it into the various internet archives, which are now at least 11 years deep.  But perhaps not.  I do hope to hear about any problems if they occur.