View single post by Rex Craft
 Posted: 04-02-2006 12:18 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rex Craft

Apparently the flat side of the front coil spring goes down according to recent sources I've read.  Two years ago I intalled the compeition springs from Delta and I installed them flat side up.  The lower supension arm had an irregular pattern that seem to match up to the "non-flat" end and the top end was flat which seem to match the flat end of the spring.  At that time I concluded that the flat side needed to go up.  Everything work fine during the past two years of driving. 

The past few months I've being installing some upgrades including new front suspension bushings.  I was using the recent JH Standard which included the explode few of the front suspension including the torque specifications.  That is when I noticed the flat side was shown to go down. 

Well, I installed the right side in this manner and was working on the left side when I decided that I didn't like the way the spring was matching up with the flat side down.  I inspected the completed right side and I'm concern with the way it is fitting.  At the top the majority of the rubber insulator has nothing in contact with it.  The engine is out of the car but the compeition springs don't compress that much with the weight of the engine.

What are the reasons the spring is supposed to go "flat-side down".  

Rex Craft

JH#14187