View single post by Jim DeClerck
 Posted: 03-30-2006 11:21 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim DeClerck

I picked up a nice set of 8 drift and alignment punches for ~$6 at Sears and used the largest one, a long tapered alignment punch, to align the three holes (Control arm, Lower suspension arm and Shock mounting outer and inner brackets)  so the bolt would fit through. 

I had initially used a smaller diameter but longer helper bolt/nut in one of the bolt holes to draw the control arm down close to the lower suspension arm and shock mounting brackets.  After alignment of the holes I was able to insert one bolt semi- tighten its nut, remove the helper bolt, insert the other bolt and torque both of the nuts. 

There was previously a considerable amount of jacking and supporting to compress the gas shock and get its brackets secured with the #56 bolt.  The lower shock bushing was a bit shorter that the previous one so before I could get both bracket holes to line up with the holes in the lower suspension arm I had to bend the bracket ends apart a bit.

This completed the installation and reassembly of the left front shock/spring components.  Mark Rosenbaum's JH Front Suspension Torques diagram was a big help.  One of these days I'll start on the right front shock.  That side of the car is close to the wall so I may have to take it off the jackstands and turn it around facing out to get better access.

I'd be interested in comments/solutions employed by others who have installed the Bilsteins.  Could be helpful for the next install.