View single post by Jim DeClerck
 Posted: 03-29-2006 06:14 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim DeClerck

If I can make the Bilsteins work you're welcome to the Konis, Kurt.

I bought 2 ea 12mm x 6cm bolts to fit the bottom Bilstein shock bushing and will have to drill out the holes a bit in the  bottom shock mount as they are slightly smaller than the 12mm bolt. 

I also bought 2 ea 1/2" x 4" bolts for the top.  1/2" is a nice fit for the Bilstein upper bushing.  12.5mm would also fit but was not available. 

The metal component to which the rubber bump stop is attached is welded to the metal suspension component at the top of the spring.  They both have holes in them where the upper shock mount bolt is to be fitted, but the holes appear to be slightly offset.  (See attached picture) 

The outer hole will accommodate the 1/2" bolt but possibly because of the offset the bolt will not pass through the inner hole.  It's also possible that the inner hole is smaller than 1/2". Hard to tell without a mirror.

Since there is no room to line up a drill under the fender, I'll use a Dremel tool with flexible drive and cutting or grinding bits to open up the hole on each side so the 1/2" bolt will fit.