View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 03-18-2006 12:51 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

For a car that'll spend its days on the track, I'd think a bill of sale would be sufficient.

For a street car, though, documents do seem to be necessary.  As Brian Kelly mentioned, a title service may be able to help.  And IIRC some states don't even issue titles for older cars, so you might be able to register the car in one of those states.  In any event, for the car with the Calif. plates, you can probably get a usable title if you have bills of sale that trace back to the last registered owner.  But it probably will be expensive.

I'll second Judson's comments, particularly about the 5-speed.  You might even be able to get a streetable parts car in exchange for one of those.

BTW, I believe the VIN on a JH appears in only four places: the metal tag on the driver's side top of the dash; the metal plate on the driver's door; the metal plate on the radiator bulkhead; and stamped into the top surface of the left chassis rail, in the engine bay about a foot back of the radiator bulkhead.  Wouldn't do to get things mixed up.