View single post by Greg Fletcher
 Posted: 03-17-2006 03:32 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg Fletcher

Interesting thread guys! A very important topic. Unfortunately, too many owners spend bags of money on rebuilding a 907, but completely gloss over the whole rotor clearance thing. Getting a new rotor set, if needed, and taking extra time to check clearances is something that will pay you back down the road on the 907.

While I don't recommend that anyone make their own plastic gasket for rotor clearance, since a mistake will result in a ruined engine, I have done it and it does work. You need to be sure you are using dimensionally stable plastic (I used some commercial negative film material) and you must check the thickness accurately with a micrometer.

Judson mentioned "plastigauge skills"- Plastigauge is really very easy to use. For a novice, it's much easier than using vernier calipers. Plastigauge is no more "low tech" than any other mechanical measurment and has the distinct advantage of being a direct contact measurement. Genuine Plastigauge® is fundementaly accurate to 100 to 600 micro inches or 0.00001 to 0.00006 inch.