View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 03-17-2006 01:04 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Mark points out the 'correct' way of determining which gasket to use via plastigage.  If your plastigage skills are limited, I've had luck with another 'low-tech' method.

Delta, et. al. sells the gaskets in a number of different sizes, I have a box with about a dozen or so in thicknesses ranging from .002"-.007".  Don't ever assume the .005" gasket supplied with the gasket set is correct, get several.

My 'method' is basically to assemble the pump with the smallest gasket I have and see if I can turn it easily by hand.  If it won't rotate, I install the next thicker gasket until the assembly rotates by hand.  As the gaskets come in .001" incriments, the experienced hand can find that sweet-spot between .0005"-.0015" fairly easily.

I do disagree a little with Mark about which dimension is 'most critical' as I spent years concentrating on the rotor-to-housing clearance (while overlooking the rotor-to-rotor clearance) and had chronic oil pressure problems.  Safe to say all three dimension are critical, and none should be overlooked.

You think I've been bitten by the rotor-to-rotor clearance thing a few too many times???