View single post by colinw59
 Posted: 03-10-2006 01:27 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
colinw59

I'm working on molding a copy of the original, and now obsolete, bell housing clutch lever gaiter. It's a very difficult shape and the wall thickness in places is very thin. I'm using a 2 part mold and I've ran off about 10 copies so far, slowly improving the process/mold. To date the last one is ok, just ok. I will need to modify the rubber compound a tad to increase it's shore hardness. A catch 22, because as the shore hardness increases it becomes harder to remove the molded gaiter from the mold as there are some large undercuts. Externally my copy looks just like the original, except it's amber not black (and it won't take paint or dye, I've tried), but the interior has been changed. The final design may need a bead of silicone sealeant applied to the gaiters undercut  to help hold it in place. I'm working with Jim at Delta on this so, if I can do this successfully these gaiters will be available through him. I have a prototype in place on the vehicle below and will post pics soon.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

P.S  A NOS gaiter was recently sold on Ebay late last year for $65.00 which I simply refuse to pay. It was this that promted me to find another way.