View single post by Jim DeClerck
 Posted: 03-09-2006 03:18 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim DeClerck

I'll check out the clearances again but they seemed pretty snug at first look.   I cut out  two pieces from the old rubber floor mat and clamped the smooth sides together with contact cement in between, and will use that disc for the pad.  The garden hose section I tried was too small to fit over the shaft without splitting it so I'll look for an oil resistant piece at an auto supply.

I think/hope I can avoid machining and replacing components with bigger pins, bronze bushings.  We'll see.

We also did a night ice dive in Hulberton Quarry in the early 70s.  Swept snow off patches of the ice and put Coleman lanters there for illumination.  Also used hand lights.  Cut a hole with a chainsaw.   Eerie but interesting.  Got caught in a blizzard and had to hole up in a local resident's house - slept on the LR floor after calling the wives. when the car got stuck in deep drifts.  Ask me if I miss Rochester winters. 

I started as a YMCA instructor, then added PADI later.  I understand NAUI has a pretty good program, too, so no problem for me.