View single post by Jim DeClerck
 Posted: 03-09-2006 05:58 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim DeClerck

The shifter is out now.  I had to remove the transmission support and replace it temporarily with a jack stand to support the rear of the transmission.  And remove the adapter on the rear of the transmission.  This allowed me to put a wrench on the drive shaft flange bolt heads so I could loosen the nuts.  Then the drive shaft could be dropped and moved to the side, permitting unobstructed access to the  bottom of the shifter.  I moved the sleeve forward out of its place covering the connecting pins and pushed the vertical pin up and out of its hole.  I had previously removed the shifter mounting bolts and the nut securing the rubber "thingie" at the top rear of the shifter.   Then down came the shifter.

The rubber hose section on the operating shaft had a much too large ID to be much use dampening vibration.  I'll replace it with one with 1/2" ID, same as the shaft OD.  The big metal washer someone had installed was used to prevent the large diameter rubber hose from shifting forward over the sleeve but it also contributed to the rattle since it also had a too large ID.  I replaced the not very worn plastic bushings with new ones from the Delta kit.  And I'll be using the other pins, sleeves, etc. from that kit.  Tomorrow I'll call Delta and have them send a new rubber "thingie" to replace the cracked (original?) one I took off.  Also I fabricated a ~1/4" rubber buffer to replace the squashed foam one I took out of the inner sleeve.  This is recommended as a substitute for the new foam buffer in the kit.

In a couple days I'll try to put all this back together.