View single post by colinw59
 Posted: 03-07-2006 06:07 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
colinw59

74 JH # 15851 (see CT gallery pics) was anxiously turned over for the first time in 15 months last Friday. New engine loom, Petronix Ignitor, Petronix Coil, Plugs, leads, new Lucas alternator in favor of the original Delco unit, rebuilt carbs. I turned the key and the engine turned over slowly, very slowly. Ah poor ground, I'd forgotten to attach the engine ground wire! Second turn, and there she goes, lumpy and rough but running non the less. The timing was 30 deg off (Petronix ignition will do this)! Carbs need to be balanced and a few other thing before she can deliver the 140HP she's supposed to.

Oh yes, and oil on the floor!! The crankshaft front cover oil seal had given out. Ok put car in gear and e brake on, radiator & hoses out, loosen alternator, fan and belt out, crankshaft V belt pulley off, marked position on aux pulley, timing belt tensioner removed (will replace bearings now along with belt, which I was going to do later as the belt looks good), timing belt off. Remove bolts from front cover, oh dear the toothed pulley wont budge! Of course not this thing is keyed and has to be on there tight without any radial movement. I checked the parts diagram to make sure I wasn't missunderstanding something which I wasn't.

Jim at Delta had suggested I pry it off by using a Ladie's shoe between the front cover and the rear face of the crank pulley flange (which is really a large washer). I don't have a ladies shoe (nor any other articles of women's clothing for that matter!)and I'm getting impatient. I sprayed anti sieze fluid all over the area and then used a dent puller with an L shaped pulling attachment on the end in lue of that ladies shoe. A dent puller works in the same way as a sliding hammer, so this may work also. I measured the position of the front face of the pulley, (it was 11mm (OK I'm European and it is a metric engine!) to the end of the crankshaft) to see if all my pulling resulted in any forward movement of the pulley. I was just able to get the L shaped puller in the front cover's timing belt guide slot and behind the pulley flange. And then I began working the puller. I rotated the cover/puller thru 180 deg each time to prevent the pulley from locking into the crankshaft. After 20 minutes I started to notice some movement! It took me an hour, achieving very small increments by slowly crabbing the pulley of the shaft. The last 6mm were easy though. I inspected the pulley and crankshaft and rust had siezed the two together. I think it would have been impossible to have pryed this pulley off in any other way.

I have a new cover oil seal and a replacement front cover gasket is on its way from Delta, along with the timming belt tensioner bearings and a new crank pulley flange. Disassembly time was 2 1/2 hours, assembly should be qicker and earier, correct!!!!!