View single post by Turboswede
 Posted: 03-03-2006 06:50 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Turboswede

Hi all, I have been checking out Jensen Healy links on the web because I am considering buying a Jensen Healy but I am a little afraid and would appreciate some advice.  After years of living in homes without garages, I finally have a garage of my own.  While I sold my wife on the idea of keeping her SUV in a warm comfy garage, the true purpose of my new garage is to store a (and restore) a classic roadster.

This begs the question, what classic sportster should I provide a new home for.  I am running down the typical $5,000 “car I don’t really need” list and all the usual suspects have surfaced, 70’s Fiat spider, X1/9, Alfa spider, Porsche 914, Rubber Bumper MGB or Midget, Triumph spitfire or TR-7.  Unfortunately, what I would prefer to house would be something a little more unique like a Fiat Dino, Lotus éclat/élan 2+2, Porsche 911, Alfa GTV, etc.

I have an aversion to pushrods and a budget of $5,000, I am also looking for something with multiple carburetors and a convertible top, what to do?

Given my criteria, the Jensen Healy seams like an Ideal solution, it has the equivalent power to weight ratio of a corvette roadster of the same year, will come with dual ZS carbs (which can be replaced) and has that Lotus 907 motor…mmmm, a real 7000 rpm racing engine.  On paper this looks like the Ideal $5,000 project, however I am a little concerned about parts pricing/availability.  I have been on the JHPS site and have seen the prices for clutch components and other parts, all the prices seem reasonable from a Porsche 911 (Not MGB) perspective.  However, I cannot seem to locate anyone who sells a rebuild kit or even a head gasket for the 907 engine. 

My question is how much do 907 engine parts run and are they available.  Additionally are the any things I should specifically look for when hunting for a JH?  Finally, what are some of the benefits/liabilities of the JH when compared to Alfas, Fiats, MGs and Triumphs?  There must be something that makes a TR-6 cost twice what a JH costs in the same condition, is it just parts costs?