View single post by Greg Fletcher
 Posted: 03-03-2006 04:11 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg Fletcher

You guys are scaring me! Clutch cables? Fuses? Carb Cleaner? Compressors? I wouldn't even drive a car if I needed all that.

99.99% of the time I drove my JH all those years I only needed three things:

1. Flashlight
2. Bailing Wire
3. Duct Tape

OK, maybe 4 things, a wine bottle opener is never a bad idea.

But seriously, the Jensen Healey is an incredibly reliable car if you do some Routine Maintenance (referred to as RM in the factory manual). The RM does not lie, if you do these things you will greatly reduce unexpected repairs. Any wear item has a finite life and these items should be changed BEFORE they leave you by the side of the road. If I have a 36 month battery, I change it 30 months. Cap & rotor get changed every year (I was using a Pertronix, otherwise I would change the points and condenser as well). I cleaned all the electrical connections at least every two years and coat with diaelectric grease. Maybe I've just been lucky? I have heard other folks having similair experiences by what many would consider over-maintaining. For me anyways, keeping the car up is cheaper than waiting for stuff to fail. Yes, the cheapskate in me does feel some pain in throwing away what might look like a perfectly good, used servicable part (like a cap and rotor), but I tell myself that it's cheap insurance and I've never been stranded with an ignition problem. Being proactive with your JH is saving money in my mind and makes the entire driving experience more pleasant.