View single post by colinw59
 Posted: 02-17-2006 07:35 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
colinw59

Hi

I'm nearing the end of restoring my 74 JH (15851) and, like you, decided to go the GT route rather than a bent hood or broomstick. The hood on this car is straight and I want it to stay that way.  I painted the hood almost 3 months ago and I'll be sanding, buffing and installing it with a few weeks. Before painting the hood, I marked out and drilled the prop hole, ditto for the radiator support panel. I can send you pics of these two areas but as the hood is not on yet ,I don't have one with the hood in it's propped position.

I also made a few improvements to the prop as follows; I dispensed with the cotter pin idea. Instead threaded (3/8" UNC I think) the short angled section/stud of the prop, stoping about 3/16" short of the welded washer/collar. I then put a nylon washer on the stud end of the prop up to the washer passed the prop thru the hole I had drilled in the radiator support panel. I used another nylon washer followed by a steel washer and then finally a Nylock nut was tightened that holds the prop firmly inplace. This way there is no slack or play in the final assembly. I also domed the working end of the prop that will locate in a rubber grommet used in the hole drilled in the hood to firmly take and hold the prop. After I had modified the prop I repainted it gloss black.

Let me know if you want me to send you some pics.

Thanks,

Colin