View single post by Jim DeClerck
 Posted: 02-15-2006 07:45 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim DeClerck

I have the instrument panel out of 19336 for cleaning and noticed that each instrument has a small numbered white paper tag glued to its back.  Most are unique but the Volts and Temp gauge tags have the same number.  The numbers are: Volts - 444, Oil - 484, Speedometer - 414, Tachometer - 482, Temp - 444, Fuel - 454.

Also my PO included with the car 2 additional JH tachometers with tags 164 and 424.  These numbers do not match nor do they match one installed in the panel.  Curiosity compels me to ask if anyone knows the significance of the numbered tags. 

BTW there is also a larger paper tag tied the the panel wiring harness with  three numbers on it: 54960862D, a handwritten and circled 2205, and a small stamped 32 partially enclosed by a "U". Same question.

Finally, is there a multimeter way, without installing a tachometer and running the car, to test whether it is operating condition?  Visually everything seems to be in order with all the tachs and I'm ready to reinstall the panel with  482 but I'd prefer not to have to remove and reinstall the panel again if the one in the panel now doesn't work.  It wasn't connected (no wonder it didn't work) when I bought the car so I'm not sure it or the others are good to go.