View single post by Rex Craft
 Posted: 02-12-2006 03:51 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rex Craft

Typical winter weather here in Kentucky, snow, wet and cold, so it’s time to get some problems addressed.  Any help on the following questions would be appreciated.

History: My current driver is a restored 74 JH, VIN #14187.  I also have parts car #13916 and #17236.  The part cars and other stuff came from a guy I bought out in Winchester KY in 1992 when I started the restoration work on #14187.  He also had a rebuilt engine from a car he had restored but unfortunately had wrecked.  I am currently running this engine that was rebuilt around 1990.  Don't know the VIN associated with this engine but the engine number is B74-01-5-408.

This engine has two problems I want to correct.

1)       Leaks oil around main rear oil seal.  I pulled the flywheel last night and it is the one-piece oil seal that fits into a cover that bolts to the eng. block.  The seal looked fine but I’m not for sure about the oil thrower.  One of the tabs on the oil thrower oriented near the topside was bent down against the block.  Is this correct? (shop manual seams to show it this way)  Are the oil seals sold at Delta Mtr. Sports the same as the Club Store?  I read somewhere about a problem fitting the seal into the cover which distorted the seal causing a leak.

2)       I have a serious oil leak around the distributor.  I replaced the o-ring on the distributor shaft, but that didn’t seem to help.  I wondered if this oil might be leaking from the inside around the drive shaft?  I saw one message on the board about Mobil 1 and other synthetics more prone to leaks.  I was running Mobil 1 during the summer.  Is that part of my problem?  If it is, shouldn’t I be able to overcome the leaks so I can continue to run the Mobil 1?

I also want to replace my header, is the header from Delta Mtr. Sports the same as the club store?  What is the recommendation on ceramic coating, pros and cons, is it worth it?